Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Live Awesomeness

Asobi Seksu
9/24/06
400 Bar, Minneapolis


Exhibit A: In her review of My Bloody Valentine's landmark album Loveless, Heather Phares of allmusic.com says that the sound of the album suggests "druggy sex or sexy drugs."
Exhibit B: The term "asobi seksu" is apparently Japanese slang for "playful sex."
A loose connection, perhaps, but one that illuminates the essential difference between the band Asobi Seksu and their most obvious influence. Though they are often compared to My Bloody Valentine and other classic shoegazers for their churning, swirling guitar atmospherics, Asobi Seksu definitely take the aesthetic to a new place - a new place called fun! Their latest album Citrus is quickly creeping up my favorites of '06 list, and seeing them live only accelerated its climb. Why, you ask? Well, dear reader, I suggest you swing by howwastheshow.com and scope my full review for the juicy details.
Also, in the interest of fun, I have included not one, not three, but two MP3s by this wonderful band. Cherish them.


No comments: