Thursday, October 19, 2006

Album Review

Beach House
Beach House
Carpark, 2006


For some reason, I found myself more excited than ever to pull out old familiar sweaters this year. As soon as the air started to turn chilly, I felt a sense of comfort wash over me. And though I remembered why it is insane to live in Minnesota - the winters are interminable and deadly cold - I also remembered what I love so much about it. Warmth always feels warmer when the ground is frozen, and comfort is so much more comfortable when preceded by a windy, red-cheeked walk home.
And so, Beach House's self-titled debut couldn't have arrived at a better time for me. Of course, it's not fair to reduce the band's work to the status of a "seasonal" favorite, but everything about this album is just begging people like me to use the word "autumnal" at least once. Beach House's exterior is cold and pale - a lo-fi wash of humming keyboards, fuzzy drum beats and languid guitars, blurring together with Victoria Legrand's distant vocals. But at their core, the songs emanate a dull warmth, bringing to mind the central lyrical image of My Bloody Valentine's song "Soft as Snow (But Warm Inside)."
And though the record is exceptionally consistent in mood and tempo, the subtle touches that make each song distinct become clear with repeated listens. "Autumn and Ivory" has a vague medievel feel to it, calling to mind Nico's Marble Index album. "Master of None" is relatively upbeat and offers some almost-souful vocals from the usually wistful Legrand. "Apple Orchard" is the highlight, though, leaving its dreamy slide guitar and aching tenderness hanging in the air even after it has ended.
It's a quiet, simple, unassuming record, but its musty feeling of familiarity has had me reaching for it whenever I need to warm up a bit. And Beach House have managed to actually fulfill the promise that internet buzz bands always seem to offer - a distinct sounding record that still calls its influences to mind. Fans of Broadcast, Nico, and Galaxie 500 in particular may find this to be their cup of cider. It's not exactly a frontrunner for end-of-the-year lists, but it is a delightful surprise that I know I will return to again and again.

Rating: Sweet (7)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Autumnal" is a fitting adjective, especially with a track named "Apple Orchard."

Good pick!

Oberon said...

.......kewl.