Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Live Awesomeness

Califone
10/20/06
The 400 Bar, Minneapolis


Califone was in town Friday, supporting their fantastic new album Roots and Crowns. Unfortunately only three of them made it, and though the show had some great moments, it wasn't quite fully awesome. Lead singer Tim Rutili never seemed to get comfortable (and I never got past the fact that he looks just like Woody Allen. Seriously). Still, any excuse to post their cover of "The Orchids" by Psychic TV is worth it, so here it is - the best acoustic track I've heard all year.
And I could tell that they have the potential to be awesome live. It just wasn't their night. Oh, yeah. Here's my full review for howwastheshow.com. Check it!

2 comments:

Billy said...

After reading the pitchfork interview, it seems the missing person was the songwriter of the band (I think?). Also, their official "tour" hasn't started yet - I wonder why they came here before their hometown?

ryanruff said...

No, the songwriter was Tim Rutili, the Woody Allen-looking guitarist/keyboardist guy. I'm pretty sure the missing member was another drummer, which was why I remembered them having such a rhythmic emphasis when I'd seen them before. Though it looks like they have had up to 6 members before.