Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Song of the Week

"Don't Worry Baby"
The Beach Boys


Even before Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson had the full capability to strike on pure melodic genius - the difference is that he was more likely to err to the side of cheesiness or lyrical inanity. Still, the pure gut-level force of "Don't Worry Baby" is undeniable, and cannot even be ruined by a vaguely developed plot about driving your car too fast or something. This would be the best pop song under 3 minutes if "God Only Knows" was 4 seconds longer, and I find myself listening to this tune even more. I think I may have mentioned before that I wish pop music was still catchy. This is what I was talking about. Even if the only two songs the Beach Boys ever recorded were this and "Be True To Your School,*" I would still think they rule.

No comments: