Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Song of the Week

"The World A Mess, It's In My Kiss"
X

In honor of recent world events (yes, I'm looking at you, North Korea...), this week's song is about the world being a mess. And it being in my kiss. I guess the title says it all. If you've ever tried your hand at songwriting, you may have discovered that if you have a strong enough title, the song will sometimes write itself. I'm not sure exactly what Exene Cervenka's songwriting process was for this tune, but I can only imagine that it was one of those charmed moments. The fidgety verses seem like they can hardly wait to kick back into the propulsive chorus, and I can't blame them. X was one of LA's first great punk bands, and this explosive song capped off their excellent 1980 debut Los Angeles (which was produced by Ray Manzarek of the Doors, incidentally - check out the keyboard breakdown).
I'm adding this one to my top 10 desert island bomb shelter mix.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh man, X is choice. way underappreciated.

-sean